Saturday 8 January 2011

Selecting a Champ kit

As I surfed around for a new guitar, I decided I wanted a vintage Fender Champ amplifier to go with it. It was high time to have some valves in my life.

As I Google-ed around for some information on which models were available in which years, and which years were considered better than others, I came across a very interesting forum post. Someone had built a Champ from a kit. Now there's an interesting idea!

I've always been a geek, and I'm somewhat proud of that. I used to de-solder pretty much anything and everything when I was a kid, so the idea of building a kit by following a set of instructions was not that daunting, and was definitely pretty exciting.

I channeled my Google activity away from vintage Champs, to vintage Champ kits. There are a number of companies out there that are putting these kits together, and most are clustered around the $500 price point for all the electronics, a speaker, and a chassis and cabinet for it all to live in.

The forums gently pointed me towards Marsh Amps, and this company also happened to offer some of the "options" that I was interested in. So I pulled the trigger on my order, and added an international power transformer (just in case I move back to Europe at some point), and also the Weber alnico speaker (which seems to get a pretty good writeup in the forums).

I also couldn't resist getting the Sprague capacitors. Even though I wasn't quite sure why I needed them.

It also seemed appropriate to get the "Marsh Amps" badge to put on the front. It wasn't right to put a Fender logo on there, and seeing as the good folk at Marsh had gone to effort of putting the kit together, their logo on the front was the right thing to do.

Marsh Amps provided me with the kit. Now all I have to do is build it.

No comments:

Post a Comment